Sunday, September 28, 2008

i'm going to take you home (well, i'll try anyway)

So. I'm not sure why I didn't get into TV On The Radio back when Return to Cookie Mountain hit - it was a HUGE oversight on my behalf, clearly. However, last Friday I followed the sweet hum of buzz and good reviews to Dear Science and I'm sure glad I did. It's one of the best records I've heard this year. I'm sure. Fuck that. It is the best record I've heard this year. Yep. Pretty sure.

I love every track on this record. It's raw and sexy. It's so sexy that all I think about when I listen to it is making-out... and stuff... For me, a really good record should make you want to make-out with someone. This revelation gives me an idea. Perhaps I'll rate all the records/bands I talk about on a scale of how badly it makes me want to make-out with someone when I listen to it. TVOTR = I would make-out with that dude I sat beside on the subway on Friday - who smelt like cheese - because I want to make-out with someone that badly when I listen to this record. Yep. That's it.

With that said. My favourite track is "Lover's Day". I can imagine the video for it now. TVOTR playing in a field. Keywords: Night, Fireworks, Drumline, Choir, Hot people making-out. That's it. I mean, I can go into all the editing details but that would be boring. I'm sure.

Now, as I said, I love every track on this record but I won't go into detail with them all. "Crying" has a great groove though. If Prince and David Bowie (circa tunes he wrote for the labyrinth - yes. I mean that. specifically "Underground") were to get together and make sweet, sweet love, they would create the tune that met Cut Copy and subsequently birthed "Crying".

"DLZ" has a slightly darker tone than the others I've mentioned so far. Actually, I listened to it yesterday walking home from my friends place (at night) and it tripped the fuck out of me. I love it. The vocals kill. I'm a fan of the clear political assault. You can hear the strain and anger behind the lyrics in this song. Put simply, you yearn to hear it live after you listen, just once.

Get it. Love it. Resist the urge to make-out. I dare you.

1 comment:

Lokag said...

Stop it with all these TVOTR gushing kudos. I can't afford this record until Friday and YOU keep making me want to steal it.

Damn temptress...