Sunday, September 21, 2008

because the emmy awards are fucking boring.

So I didn't plan on blogging today. I spent my weekend getting all sorts of intoxicated with friends, new and old. Sidenote: don't take old friends from small towns to new bars in the city. They will talk up crazy men wearing furry, pink fedora's and attempt to encourage unwanted foot violation in unimaginable ways from said man wearing a furry, pink fedora.

Aaaaaaaaaanyway, I'm bringing it back, don't worry. Since I spent the majority of my weekend getting all sorts of intoxicated, I planned on watching TV all night. But, low and behold, the fucking Emmy's are on. So. Fucking. Boring. And Josh Grobin? Really? What the fuck was that? Most awkward 6 minutes of my life. And I've had a couple awkward sets of awkward 6 minutes - one that even ended with me saying "You left me unsatisfied and disappointed", but THAT (Josh Grobin) was fucking awkward. I had to leave the room it was so fucking awkward.

(Bringing it back again) After the Emmy's and Josh Grobin ruined my plans, I decided I'd spend the rest of my night writing this blog.

I found this band surfing myspace one random day last fall/winter. I automatically fell in love with their release, SHIV! It was quirky, fun and completely addictive. Slow Runner are a band out of New Orleans (I think. Don't quote me. It's not on their myspace anymore). First off, this band knows how to write a serious rock/pop song. The lyrics are catchy and tell a story. The melodies are simple, but great nonetheless. I'm surprised "Lower Your Standards" wasn't a commercial it. Actually, I'm still shocked this band doesn't have massive radio-play. I don't believe there is a song on SHIV! I don't like, to be honest.

Their latest record, Mermaids has a darker sound. The tone is slightly more melancholic than the last record. I think that SHIV! showed the signs, for sure. The lyrics could be dark, but the sound was always light. Mermaids also had to grow on me. I wasn't sure how I felt about it on the first few listens but now I fucking love it. "The Stakes Were Raised", "Trying To Put Your Heart Back Together" and "Make You Love Me" are fan-fucking-tastic. And, as I've mentioned, these tracks really are musical storytelling at it's best. I also think they've done some really interesting production on this record. I don't know much about the production process, or anything about the production process really, but I do know when a record's over-produced. Mermaids just sounds... natural, really.

ps - it's a good break-up record. full of those things you wish you could say to someone but totally can't. (ex - when i've used up the best you / and i'm breaking myself against the next you /... all i want to do is make you love me)


No comments: