Sunday, September 14, 2008

it'll make you break shit. apparently.

As I sat down to write this blog I broke my lamp. Somehow, in the mess of extension cords surrounding my desk, my chair caught the lamp cord and pulled the lamp off my desk as I attempted to turn on my fan so that I'd get a little relief from this wicked hangover.

It must mean something. Something like ikea's shit. This is the second glass ikea lamp I've broken in as many... ikea lamps. At least this catastrophe didn't end with trip to Emerg like the last one did.

Annnnnnnyway, I've spent the day nursing my hangover with ben, jerry and bridget jones. Solid day if I do say so myself. Amidst my sloth-like behaviour today I did find the time to narrow down the topic for today's post: Ra Ra Riot.

Ra Ra Riot's a band out of Syracuse, New York who recently toured through TO to play a show at The Horseshoe. I missed the show. Mainly because I need more friends who want to see shows. (Shout out: Anyone who's in the same position as me drop me a line. I'm always looking for new concert buddies.)

So, I wouldn't say their newest record, The Rhumb Line, is anything groundbreaking, but it is a solid, solid record. It's full of great melodies and really, really good lyrics. I've never been one to pay too much attention to lyrics - unless they're bad (example: city and colour's first album = worst. lyrics. ever.) But, the lyrics for "Can You Tell" make it the perfect song to listen to when you're kicking your own ass for your adventures in drunk-texting the night before and need to feel like you're not the only idiot on the planet who must learn to leave their cell at home. (note: the song is not about drunk texting, but you get my drift).

If you're a fan of stars, Mates of State, or any pretty indie-pop bands, then you'll fall in love with The Rhumb Line, as I have. Take a listen to "Ghosts Under Rocks", "Oh, La" and "Run My Mouth" (my personal favourite) if you can find them. But in the meantime, click here to listen to "A Manner To Act".

No comments: