Monday, September 15, 2008

"when the right girl comes across my face...

...that'll be it" - douchebag on eTalk (15/9/08) WHAT. A. SOUNDBITE.

So, I was hesitant to post such a mainstream track so early on. I didn't want to ruin my cred before I earned it. But, I've been a fan of these dudes for ages and despite the fact that I believe this new record will push Kings of Leon into the 'Rock SuperGod Stratisphere', that might not be such a bad thing. Also, the totally whack/rad soundbite I heard yesterday was the perfect title for this post.

Kings of Leon drop their new album one week today. From what I've heard, it's a far cry from 'Aka Shake Heartbreak' (my personal favourite) and I'm not sure that I like where it's headed, just yet. I think you can hear the transition on their last record, 'Because Of The Times', with tracks like "On Call", a sweeping rock tune with heart & soul. Caleb's voice is distinct and impressive, no doubt. The album, in my mind, solidified KoL as the best, new-ish/not-quite Rock-SuperGods-Yet band to produce solid, mainstream rock tunes.

(I bet you're wondering where the connection is between the title of this post and KoL)

Here it is: Kings of Leon's first video off "Only By The Night" - SEX ON FIRE (Heh)

There is no denying that "Sex On Fire" is a seriously good rock tune. I fucking love it to be honest. It does everything a good rock tune is supposed to make you do. It makes you dance. It makes you want to scream the chorus while you're taking a shower. It makes you want to exercise demons from Caleb's body in a sweaty, dark warehouse. It makes you want to catch free-range chickens by hand. It makes you want to take a shower with the drummer under a mysterious water source. It makes you want to rip pages out of The Old Testament. It makes you want to eat the free-range chicken you just caught by hand...

Okay, you get the point. The video's kind of weird. But hot, nonetheless - as every good rock vid should be.

So that's today's post. Please don't hate me. I promise I'll dig up some more obscure stuff next time.



No comments: