Friday, September 12, 2008

they made me do it.

So my friends have successfully coerced me into starting a blog. I’m not sure why. I don’t fancy myself a particularly ‘entertaining’ writer. I suppose writing is a major part of my job description, but I don’t write shit you’d read for fun. I write shit other people read and then write shit you’d read for fun. I’m also not sure I really know what makes a solid tune...solid. But I do know that I love music and I constantly force my iPod on friends, family, coworkers and I’m sure I’d even force it on fellow TTC riders every AM if it were a sane thing to do.

With that in mind, let’s take a trip into my iTunes. I’ll show you a good time. I swear.

Lately there’s a lot of music I just can’t seem to get enough of. I’ll keep it to one artist today though.

Let’s start with an anecdote (a writer at my last internship told me that antidotes ‘make the story’ – I promise this one’s real and not just for effect):

Back when Amy Winehouse couldn’t be confused with a crack-head screaming obscenities on the corner of Carlton and Parliament, I downloaded her album. I was poor, so it wasn’t legal. Nonetheless, as I spun it on my iPod this random song came on that clearly wasn’t Winehouse’s. It was called bows & arrows. I loved the tune, but even with serious googling I couldn’t figure out whose song it was.

The other day I was perusing music blogs at work and I came across a post about The Walkmen’s new album You & Me. I listened to a tune or two and soon it all came together. A ‘full circle moment’ as Oprah would say. So, I guess you can say that Amy Winehouse introduced me to The Walkmen and I’m thoroughly happy she did.

The Walkmen’s newest disk, ‘You & Me’, is fucking brilliant. It’s the kind of record you spastically air drum to while you’re making your bed. It’s the kind of record you listen to while you’re on your commute home after a long day at work and you look at everyone’s tired faces and think - ‘I bet they wouldn’t hate their life so much if they were listening to this shit right now’. It’s the kind of record you fucking fall in love with – hands down.

Favourite tracks:

“The Blue Route” – If this song doesn’t make you consistently heel tap with drum you’re not alive.

“Four Provinces” – So much sound your ears will need a rest afterwards.

“In The New Year” – This song makes me wish I were a rockstar.

"I Lost You" - Goes places you don't expect.



So, that’s it for now folks. My first trip into the blogsphere. I hope it was good for you too.



No comments: