Friday, September 19, 2008

trap me in a log cabin with this man and i'd be a happy, happy girl

So I got lazy yesterday and drunk the day before and I don't really have time for an adequate post today (full of my knee slapping humour and fitting anecdotes) so this one's about a favourite, plain and simple.

A friend of mine had "Bon Iver" posted as his google-chat name one day, so I went online to check it out. I instantly fell in love - as anyone does who has listened to this record. For Emma, Forever Ago was recorded in a back-woods log cabin in Wisconsin (seriously? seriously.) The story's reminiscent of Ray Lamontagne; another songwriter I wouldn't mind being trapped in a log cabin with.

Though the difference between the two is quite apparent. Bon Iver is rich. His sound is organic. And as Elton John would say, sad songs say so much. This record is the perfect record to listen to if you're just hanging out - or making-out even. Put simply, Bon Iver's 'pain will rock you'. Every track's a winner. My personal favourites are "skinny love", "for emma" and "re: stacks"

Watch "Skinny Love" - this video will make you cry. It did me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHyo33XLP24

Stream "For Emma, Forever Ago" here and cry your bloody eyes out.

No comments: