Tuesday, April 28, 2009

tom petty rocks my socks

i've been feeling a bit blah lately. i think it's the weather. winters are long in toronto, that's all i'm going to say. anyway, i was on the the subway on my way to work, having woken up to a cold, wet rain this morning, when tom petty's "learning to fly" came through my speakers and totally brightened my morning.

i love tom petty. i always seem to overlook his catalogue when i dream up my one of many attempts at an "all time favourites" list. i guess what i'm trying to say is that tom petty is one of my favourites. if i ever forget to mention him, or his work, in future attempts at an "all time favourites" list, just refer me back to this post.



and speaking of tom petty, i happened to see a fellow at the dakota tavern in toronto last thursday who reminded me of tom petty. not in the "i'm trying to steal tom petty's groove" kind-of-way, but he struck me in a tom petty kind-of-way through his presence, his phrasing and his style. this "he" to which i'm referring is dustin bentall (check his officially web page here). he's a fantastic live show. cool; that's the crucial word i used to describe his show to a coworker. he's got a stage presence much larger than the cozy, dark stage in the corner of the dakota allows for, i think. he's just fucking cool.

if you can get your hands on them, look for "handful of the blues," "see it coming," "such a shame" and "cold and lonely." you know what? just buy the album. you'll like it. especially if you dig the alt-country scene.

No comments: