Monday, April 6, 2009

hell has officially frozen over...


i'm posting here again and it hasn't been a bajillion months since my last post. AND - i probably could post twice, i've discovered so many good bands/tunes lately. i think i'll save it up and perhaps post again next week... stay tuned... if anyone actually reads this. hah. ah well.

so. today's not about anything new, per se, though it is relatively new to me.

so, a few weeks ago i downloaded TIM, Let It Be and Hootenanny! by The Replacements. i had heard of them, casually, for years, but i was never inclined to discover them. i'm not sure what prompted me to download them a
t all, actually. random internet surfing, probably. but i'm so glad i did. i feel like my love for The Replacements is growing like a little music love tree in that special place in my heart that i have for bands such as pixies. no matter how old it gets, it never sounds dated. it's always current, because it's just fucking good.

anyway, so i went to ADVENTURELAND this weekend, and incidentally, the soundtrack was full of replacements' tracks. i knew, then and there, that it was a sign. i was meant to blog about the band to pass on all that is good about the replacements to the one, maybe two people that happen across my blog.

you won't be sorry. i promise.

what i love about the replacements, is no matter what the song is about, it makes me feel good.

favourite tracks:

unsatisfied - this song makes me want to hang out in my bedroom and listen to this record on my non-existent record player with a slightly chubby, slight awkward dude, smoking cigarettes and holding hands while lying on my bed. it just that kind of song.

bastards of young - this song feels like summer to me. it's the kind of tune that i could listen to and completely and utterly loose myself in while riding the streetcar, sitting down next to a window, slightly cracked, with the warm air creeping in as the streetcar barrels along dundas.

can't hardly wait - this song is totally a week-long road trip to nowhere in a shitty honda from the 90s with a tape-deck and two crappy speakers.

i could go on and on... all three albums are, hands-down, amazing. what makes me most happy, though, is that in this day and age, music as good as this is finally a possibility again. that's why i love working in this industry. there is always something beautiful to discover around the bend, if you're willing to look.

No comments: